• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any reason why you avoided Slater/Dravid incident ?
Slater thought he caught the ball and was annoyed that the batsman didnt take him at his word - it happens

Slater was punished, Jayawardene wasnt

Last edited:

social

Don't see why its so unbelievable, given Social's obvious anti-subcontinental bias.
QUOTE]

Oh please.

Name one occasion that you have given credit to a white man unless he happened to be playing against Australia

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh, yeah that claim has a heck of a lot of credibility

http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news/2001/05/08/080501afp-mcgrath.html

The only guy that heard it wasnt even on the field at the time and first revealed it when trying to sell a book :laugh:
Your self serving simplistic view reveals that you are nothing more than a Biased obtuse individual. Firstly Jayasuriya's image and reputation has been nothing less that exceptional in cricketing circles and the public. Secondly Jayasuriya is not someone who wants to make any allegations about anyone. He was called "black Monkey" by mcgrath and the whole Sri Lankan team knows about it.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/jul/31maha.htm

social

Your self serving simplistic view reveals that you are nothing more than a Biased obtuse individual. Firstly Jayasuriya's image and reputation has been nothing less that exceptional in cricketing circles and the public. Secondly Jayasuriya is not someone who wants to make any allegations about anyone. He was called "black Monkey" by mcgrath and the whole Sri Lankan team knows about it.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/jul/31maha.htm
If you know anything about that series, then you'd know that no team held anything back

Jayasuriya never made the allegation because it never happened!

Mahanama wrote a book 5 years after the fact and the allegation was contained therein.

McGrath threatened legal action, an apology was forthcoming, and legal action was withdrawn.

The Australians referred to Sanath as a "spider monkey" because of his non-stop antics on the ground

Oz knew it and so did Sanath.

Mahanama tried to make money out of his fabrication and was employed by the ICC

Typical!

FRAZ

International Captain
Name one occasion that you have given credit to a white man unless he happened to be playing against Australia
So you mean you don't show biasism against the sub-continental teams , people and players ?
That's called lieng tbh !

FRAZ

International Captain
Mahanama tried to make money out of his fabrication and was employed by the ICC

Typical!
This sure is called lieng and lack of basic humanity knowledge .On one hand you are ranting that you are not biased and also trying to say that you are taking revenge because people don't give credit to white people of Australia and then you again deny that you have no Bias-ism against sub-continental people . You always have most number of posts in the importance seeking threads and here you type "typical" ...... haha
So you mean this "gesture" is in love of sub-continental people ?

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you know anything about that series, then you'd know that no team held anything back

Jayasuriya never made the allegation because it never happened!

Mahanama wrote a book 5 years after the fact and the allegation was contained therein.

McGrath threatened legal action, an apology was forthcoming, and legal action was withdrawn.

Typical!
Wrong .... Mahanama never retracted what he said. Sanath mentioned this incident to the whole SL team. You are just being ignorant and delusional as usual.

Last edited:

social

This sure is called lieng and lack of basic humanity knowledge .On one hand you are ranting that you are not biased and also trying to say that you are taking revenge because people don't give credit to white people of Australia and then you again deny that you have no Bias-ism against sub-continental people . You always have most number of posts in the importance seeking threads and here you type "typical" ...... haha
So you mean this "gesture" is in love of sub-continental people ?
If you want to criticise Australians for something they're actually guilty of, be my guest!

The Chappells, Lillee, Thomson, Steve Waugh, McGrath, etc etc etc etc
etc etc etc etc etc etc were shocking sledgers

But please dont pretend that some from the subcontinent were any better

I support Australia but we've had some ordinary human beings play for us.

It's about time that some people from other countries woke up and admitted that not all their heroes are as nice as you'd have us believe

social

Wrong .... Mahanama never retracted what he said. Sanath mentioned this incident to the whole SL team. You are just being ignorant and delusional as usual.

BS!

Sri Lanka's captain was Ranatunga!

Do you honestly think he'd let it go if there was an ounce of truth in it

What's more, the ICC, ACB, and Sri Lanka's Board approached all the players from that series for verification and NOT ONE supported Mahanama

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
BS!

Sri Lanka's captain was Ranatunga!

Do you honestly think he'd let it go if there was an ounce of truth in it

What's more, the ICC, ACB, and Sri Lanka's Board approached all the players from that series for verification and NOT ONE supported Mahanama
For some .... Ignorance is bliss !

'Retired Hurt', a success
We carry in full a statement made by Roshan Mahanama on his controversial auto-biography "Retired Hurt".
I consider it my duty by my fans and the cricket-loving public, to place my viewpoint in response to your article on the above subject.

This article was first published in the Daily Telegraph of 9th May, 2 days after my arrival in Melbourne for the launch of my auto-biography "Retired Hurt" with Ken Piesse. All leading newspapers in Australia including 4 TV Channels and 3 Radio Stations too, highlighted the statement in my book that during the 1996 Aussie tour, Glen McGrath called Sanath Jayasuriya a "black monkey".

I was heavily interviewed by the media in Melbourne and Sydney during my visit from 11th to 19th May seeking my response. There were threats of legal action by Glen McGrath and hints of an injunction against the release of my book in Melbourne on 11th May. Despite these threats I am happy that "Retired Hurt" was successfully launched.

Considering the wide publicity this comment has received locally and internationally I wish to clarify my position with reference to comments made by Glen McGrath, his manager Warren Craig and Malcolm speed, the ACB Chief.

Point No.1: The book deals entirely, with my cricket story and not McGrath's story. It records my experiences and observations. It objectively deals with the good, the bad and the ugly.

Point No. 2: The controversy is on one line in a 230-page book. It is taken out of context and blown out of proportion. It should be read along with the other comments in the book. I have said that McGrath made the comment in the heat of the moment and so on.

Point No. 3: I am not making an allegation or a specific complaint against McGrath. Nor do I want any action taken against him now. We did not make an official complaint then and decided to let it pass. But we certainly did not approve of the comment. I have narrated it along with a series of ugly incidents which took place during our Aussie tour of 1996, such as the false challenging of the size of our team sponsor's Logo, accusation of ball tampering by us and Murali being accused of "chucking". McGrath's comment was a part of my objective analysis highlighting the various factors which motivated and brought out the "Killer Instinct" in us, to beat the Aussies and bring the World Cup to Sri Lanka.

Point No. 4: Glen is a nice guy, he is a great bowler.

That does not mean I condone his sledging. In fact, sledging in the real sense of the word should have no place in the gentleman's game of cricket. I am firm in this view.

Point No. 5: The ACB chief asks how I know about this incident, when I did not play in that match. This is amusing. Even if I played in that match I may not have been at centre, when the incident occurred.

I was injured and I was in the pavilion along with all the other players, team officials and the doctor in attendance, when Sanath on his return after getting out dejectedly informed us of the remark made by McGrath.

Point No. 6: The doctor in attendance at that match telephoned me in Sydney when I was there and in response to the publicity given by the Aussie media to McGrath's comment, inter-alia, vividly recalled this incident and how upset Sanath was as a consequence.

Funnily, some including Mark Taylor have insinuated, that the comment was fabricated to promote my book. My book was not conceived as a commercial exercise for profit. In that case, I would have given my story to a publisher. The book was printed by me with the assistance of a close friend - and that too, only a limited number of copies were printed. To these insinuators including Mark Taylor, all I can say is "don't judge me by your standards."

Mark also states, "It is 5 years since this match and this allegation has not been raised until now and ". Firstly, as already emphasised it is not an allegation against McGrath. Secondly, if I decided to write my auto-biography 10 years hence, it would have come up then and not now.

I have also been asked why the book was launched in Melbourne. There are 2 reasons for this. One, the person who assisted me in writing the book and the chief promoter are both from Melbourne and the book was also printed there. Two, I was keen to launch the book in Sri Lanka along with a Sinhala translation in fairness to the majority of my fans in Sri Lanka. I will launch it on 31st July in Sri Lanka. In the last 2-3 years McGrath has been punished on about 3 occasions for using abusive language and bad behaviour in international matches.

In conclusion, I wish to make a firm statement to all concerned and the general public of Sri Lanka, since my early childhood, I have been greatly influenced by high standards of conduct and behaviour instilled in me by my parents and my teachers. McGrath states, "I deny it totally, absolutely, 100%". I wish to categorically state, that every comment made in my book "Retired Hurt", is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - totally, absolutely, 100%!

Yours Sincerely,
Roshan Mahanama

social

So you still havent provided independent verification?

What a surprise!

It never happened

FRAZ

International Captain
If you want to criticise Australians for something they're actually guilty of, be my guest!

The Chappells, Lillee, Thomson, Steve Waugh, McGrath, etc etc etc etc
etc etc etc etc etc etc were shocking sledgers

But please dont pretend that some from the subcontinent were any better

I support Australia but we've had some ordinary human beings play for us.

It's about time that some people from other countries woke up and admitted that not all their heroes are as nice as you'd have us believe
Ok sir Messiah !
List the sledging and preferably the racial slur incidents of Sub-continental players . Mahanama's deal with the board is a separate issue ..

FRAZ

International Captain
So you still havent provided independent verification?

What a surprise!

It never happened
Prove and attach documents of Mahanama's incident . Plus the youtube clips of hidden cam focussing Mahanama is a bonus !!!

social

Prove and attach documents of Mahanama's incident . Plus the youtube clips of hidden cam focussing Mahanama is a bonus !!!
Cant do it - Mahanama wasnt actually playing in the game :laugh: :laugh:

He accused McGrath from the change room despite the fact that no-one from his team backed his story and "his version" of events only came out 5 years later and coincided with his book launch

Seriously, what a joke!

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cant do it - Mahanama wasnt actually playing in the game :laugh: :laugh:

He accused McGrath from the change room despite the fact that no-one from his team backed his story and "his version" of events only came out 5 years later and coincided with his book launch

Seriously, what a joke!
Seriously Mcgrath has a Halo and Iam Santa !

Fusion

Global Moderator
Right then. This thread is controversial enough, so why not I add something to the cause as well?

I'm going to start with addressing two posters: C_C and Social. You both are consistently extreme in your views! Whenever there is a controversial topic involving the West in general and Australia in particular, I know that C_C will come in and rip them a new one. And whenever the sub-continent is in the news, I know Social will come in blasting away. The net effect of seeing this happen time and time again is that both of your postings are simply dismissed by me (and I suspect quite a few more people). I don’t mean to be disrespectful when I say that. I read your posts for sure, but I know that they will contain extreme views when it comes to Aus/Sub-continent so I don't put any weight on them. For a contrast, take a read over this thread. You have guys like Fuller, Pasag, HB, Sanz etc that are debating as well. I don't agree with all their views, but at least I'm going to give them consideration because I know they're not ALWAYS going to be blasting Australia or the sub-continent on something. Just my two cents guys. Perhaps I will unite you both into attacking me, thus making this thread a little less contentious. :)

As for the Gavaskar issue, I think that he is right when he says the Australian team as a whole is misbehaved. However, I don't think Aus is the only team that is guilty of this, they're just the most prominent due to their success. Gavaskar may be no saint, but that doesn't mean he's wrong. By the way, I don't think sledging is that big of an issue. Unlike SS's view however, I do think there is an imaginary boundary that should not be crossed.

Lastly, I don't think Gavaskar's comments on Hookes were intended to be malicious. I think he gave a spur-of-the-moment example that was in bad taste. I do think, however, that Gavaskar's comment on the WI crowd was appalling. He should know better than to say something like that. Even those of us who admire Gavaskar should be able to admit that he was wrong in this particular instance. Admitting he was wrong would not take away from his original point either, so please don't box yourself into a corner.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand what you're saying here.

That states that Hookes was getting into his car when he got clocked?
One version, from a member of Hookes's party, has it that when last drinks were called, Hookes, in his inimitable way, said he would leave when he was ready; in his own good time. Hotel security took umbrage and ******ed him out, followed by his friends.

The other story, from a senior Victorian cricket official, goes that Hookes attracted the attention of security when he tried to stand up for a female member of the group, who had apparently been rudely asked to leave after becoming involved in a loud argument with another member of the party

Two versions of the same story. Want more information about how innocent Hookes was ?

http://www.icc-cricket.com/ci/content/story/141728.html

Wayne Phillips, another former Australian cricketer speaking at the hearings, said he saw Hookes get into an altercation with the bouncers after he was asked to leave. When asked whether he heard Hookes tell the bouncers that the establishment would "cop it" on air, Phillips said, "I assume that was the tack he was taking."

http://www.icc-cricket.com/ci/content/story/141664.html
Asked if Hookes had been argumentative with hotel staff, he replied that he couldn't recall. Lehmann gave the same answer when asked if he'd heard women who were with his group screaming and again when asked if a female with the group had jumped onto a bouncer's back